Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bookish Personal Ads

The London Review of Books has perhaps the most witty and unusual personal ads.
For example:

Tall, handsome, well-built, articulate, intelligent, sensitive,
yet often grossly inaccurate man, 21. Cynics (and some
cheap Brentwood psychiatrists) may say ‘pathological
liar’, but I like to use ‘creative with reality’. Join me in my
36-bedroomed mansion on my Gloucestershire estate, set
in 400 acres of wild-stag populated woodland. East Ham.12
Box no. 0620.


Looking for a partner, I’m placing an ad in this column. Things are significantly worse than I originally thought. Though clearly not as bad as they are for you, F to 40, who is reading this and thinking of replying. M, 34.
box no: 0101




Write and enjoy a date with me at the delicious Cedar’s Lodge Inn, Barnstaple. I have a ‘two-eat-for-the-price-of-one’ voucher that’s good through April. M, 46.
box no: 03/03




Meet the new face of indoor bowling! More or less the
same as the old face, but less facial hair and better teeth. M,
28. Box no. 3377.


I cannot guarantee you’ll fall in love with me, but I can
promise you the best home-brewed beetroot wine you’ll
have ever tasted. Now if that doesn’t sound like a fermented
bucket of yummy siphoned lustiness I just don’t
know what does. Man, 41. Stupid like wow! Box no. 9851.


Drooling, toothless sociopath (M, 57) seeks F any age to
help make this abandoned gas station kiosk feel more like
home. Must bring shoes (size 10). Box no. 5310.


A bigger list can be found here.
These are from David Rose's book: "Sexually, I'm More of a Switzerland: More Personal Ads from the London Review of Books".

In comparison, the New York equivalent personals site is dry and like reading a resume. (see Salon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment